In 1949, Glen Miller, a linoleum installer, partnered with Charles Fair, a tool and die maker, to found what was then called Milfair Linoleum.
After returning home to Guernsey County after World War II and the Merchant Marines, Glen found work as a linoleum installer for Kaplan's Furniture. His desire to be in business for himself was realized in 1949 when he and Charles blended their last names and their talents to form Milfair Linoleum Co. at 537 Wheeling Avenue in Cambridge. Their business grew quickly, and custom installations became their trademark. Homes all across Cambridge boasted their custom insets, feature strips, and flash coved installations.